This is a great way to cook salmon, the sauce brings out the sweetness in the fish. If you are a fan of sweet flavors then this seared salmon with sweet glaze recipe is for you. I found that the sauce doesn’t thicken as well as I would like so I added cornstarch to the mixture to make it thicken better but this is optional.
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar, packed plus
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch(optional)
- 4 salmon fillets, skin on (center cut)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Stir the balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, water, brown sugar and cornstarch if used in a small bowl.
- Pat the salmon fillet dry and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium to high heat(not smoking). Increase heat to high, add salmon skin side up, and sear until well browned, This should take about 4 minutes.
- Turn salmon over and sear until just cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes more.
- Transfer salmon to plates and carefully add vinegar mixture to skillet (mixture will bubble and steam so be careful!).
- Bring to a simmer, stirring, until thickened and reduced to about 1/3 cup, about 2 minutes. Let it cool for a few minutes(it thickens when it is cooling)
- Spoon glaze over salmon.